Worlds of Carnage
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:16:25am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: enchant weapon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:19:25am 
I still dont understand how it was changed or how it works now.
All I see is this with the info a mortal can see:

*I used to get 7dam +3hitroll rare enchants as max with my 86int eq as level 73. sometimes with a +stat.

*Now with changes my max seems to be 5dam. I get now a bit more often a +stat bonus. I tried 40 enchants to test this limit. Using same equip and been same level.

*The problem is not that limit itself, i think it worked fine before as it took knowledge and time to get a nice int kit and me to level, 73. The problem is we tested enchant with a level 63 75int pure mage too. And his max, even if less often was also 5dam. Then I wonder whats the use of havin 10 levels above if we can get same max enchant, perhaps ill get more +hps or more often a +stat but the damroll been same seems not right to me.

Post subject: Re: enchant weapon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:51:15pm 
Implementor
Quote:
The problem is we tested enchant with a level 63 75int pure mage too.
Mathematics... the range of bonuses are not 1 to 75, therefore you can expect some levels to have the same bonus range since obviously a small range has been spread across a large range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:09:02pm 
Doing the maths - as max damage looks like 5 one way of doing it would be 0-15, 30, 45, 60 ,75 whilst it may not be that obvious seems a shame that the lvl 73 with higher int seems not to have some decent advantage over a low 60s due to the extra effort put in...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:23:22pm 
Implementor
Quote:
Doing the maths - as max damage looks like 5 one way of doing it would be 0-15, 30, 45, 60 ,75
DAMN YOU!!! SMARTY PANTS ;)
Quote:
whilst it may not be that obvious seems a shame that the lvl 73 with higher int seems not to have some decent advantage over a low 60s due to the extra effort put in...
Higher int does have an advantage, but I'm not about to divulge the entire spell mechanics. There is much more at play than just the above breakdown, although it is the most obvious aspect :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:04:44am 
I have no clue what happens in the spell, only what we as players see in our enchants. One would suspect a pure mage would often get better enchants than a hybrid, or a higher level would get better ones than a lower level. I know there is only 10 level diff between 63 and 73, but there is a huge exp diff (nearly 4 fold), and also a huge power in the mages.

As a level 74 mage hybrid with 83 int, I enchanted a sword 6 dam...first try on enchant. Mebbe a fluke :? and have not tried any more weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:28:35am 
Implementor
If there's one thing I'm learning from many of these pointless arguments about internal mechanics... it's that the players are obviously receiving too much information about what happens behind the scenes. I think it's probably time I switch all such information to "some", "a lot", "uber" type messages. Then you can all quit asking questions unworthy of mortals :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:10:15am 
lol ill stop asking hehe havin id tell ya "a lot" would suck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:44:56am 
cast identify " enchanted sword"

damage - some
affects hr
affects dr

Would not be nice... As of now I know nothing about maths, have no logical deduction skills and have forgotten everything I've learned about internal game mechanics by playing over the last few years and am resetting my real life intelligence from 55+ to 24

Anyone know how to cast and spell illoome - stuff it- too hard.

Seriously though I don't think it is wrong that you pick up some in game knowledge purely by playing. Others have picked up some by helping out with Imm duties and it means that players with some understanding can influence things and ask (in my opinion) relevant questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:25:07am 
Implementor
Quote:
Seriously though I don't think it is wrong that you pick up some in game knowledge purely by playing. Others have picked up some by helping out with Imm duties and it means that players with some understanding can influence things and ask (in my opinion) relevant questions.
I agree to a point, but Torak cast enchant weapon about 100 times and statsitically analyzed his outcomes and then quibbled over what he found :) His statistics are probably fairly accurate, but it's not the end all of the spell, but it does reduce gameplay to mathematical analysis to try and get the best bang for one's so called buck.

This goes into other areas too, for instance, Tuor tested how often his twin stab fired by using it over and over again. There's nothing i can do about that, but he also teamed up with players, to determine the exact hitpoint reductions occuring for each stab. Then he statistically analyzed that.

This kind of analysis goes on and on over various aspects of the game. All it does is spoil much of the game since everything becomes reduced to a number, and that number determines if a player thinks the spell/skill/class/race is worthy of play.

Let's imagine you never knew your gains, never knew your actual hitpoints, or any actual numbers. All you know is that you got some gain, you are at max or not, and your stat's current % of your max. You'd still be the same character, but everything couldn't be calculated to a number since you wouldn't know any numbers. Then everything would just be a big fat guesstimate and I wouldn't hear about how such and such isn't as good as so and so wants it *heh*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:32:15am 
Agreed it is possible to take things too far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:05:56pm 
Quote:
This kind of analysis goes on and on over various aspects of the game. All it does is spoil much of the game since everything becomes reduced to a number, and that number determines if a player thinks the spell/skill/class/race is worthy of play.

Let's imagine you never knew your gains, never knew your actual hitpoints, or any actual numbers. All you know is that you got some gain, you are at max or not, and your stat's current % of your max. You'd still be the same character, but everything couldn't be calculated to a number since you wouldn't know any numbers. Then everything would just be a big fat guesstimate and I wouldn't hear about how such and such isn't as good as so and so wants it *heh*.
Lovin' it. Would be fun if we never even saw numbers on our hps/mana/mvs. Might be nice if we didn't even know what percent we knew a spell, just that we had mastered it, knew it well, or sure as hell coulden't kill shit with it :lol: Those type of statictical numbers don't lend themselves to a rp environment.

Also, how do we know other characters names if we have never met them before? I don't think people just walk around with a name tag on. Perhaps we should just see that a troll is in the room with us, or an elf is there until they introduce themselves to us.

Hey, why would there be a who list anyways. How do we really know how many people are on the world, unless perhaps we have spells to locate them. Perhaps once we "see" (by eyes or spells) another person in the world, then they can appear on our who list, but until they we should not know they even exist.

How the heck can we stay awake for days, and still fight as well as if we had just had a long night's sleep in a warm bed? Perhaps we should not regen as much if we are tired, just like as if we are hungry or thirsty. Also, unless you have shelter, or are a ranger or elf mebbe, sleeping out in the woods would be scarry and might not be the best night's sleep. Mebbe if we really want to rest up we should sleep in a house under a nice warm blanket during the dead of winter, or on a breezy porch or rooftop for those months of sun.

Speaking of which, if we wear a lot of armour in the heat, shoulden't we get fatigued faster? And during the winter if we run around nearly naked might we freeze to death?

Fun fun fun...not sure anybody would like a mud with all of those things put in, but food for thought and btw I think that mud would be a good time for sure! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:08:29pm 
Bah.

Let us analyze and quibble.

Then respond: "Oh ya? Thanks for letting me know!"

And that's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:36:42pm 
Implementor
Quote:
Bah.

And that's it.
Thanks for that comment Wren.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:43:56pm 
Quote:
Bah.

And that's it.
I have no clue what this message is supposed to mean :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:41:41pm 
Quote:

I have no clue what this message is supposed to mean :?
Don't eat yellow snow