Worlds of Carnage
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:02:18am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Far Sight
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:02:24pm 
The eyes of the ranger are more adept at seeing things farther away. Some say the ranger, with enough skill, can glance at things on the horizon and pick out every detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:32:59am 
mebbe farsight can work with the 'scan' social command. if ya type scan, it wud tell you what mobs are in the adjacent room(s) or mebbe u can specify which direction you'd like to scan. If yer skill quality is high enough mebbe you can also see which mobs are 2 rooms away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:08:36am 
I was talking to Blobbie recently about the current usage of the "Listen" command, which allows you to 'spy' on conversations.

I had mentioned I thought the old usage was better - since most mobs are generally silent: Would show you how many of a given 'race' were in a lookable direction.
Quote:
You see:
(4) Giants and (1) Snake.
I don't recall what the decision was, but I believe making that part of scan, and leaving Listen as is was stated. Though I don't believe there was any plan to limit it to particular classes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22:34pm 
Ultimately I'm trying to think of a way to allow archers to shoot from different rooms, but at the same time not abuse it significantly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:27:24pm 
Implementor
Quote:
I was talking to Blobbie recently about the current usage of the "Listen" command, which allows you to 'spy' on conversations.

I had mentioned I thought the old usage was better - since most mobs are generally silent: Would show you how many of a given 'race' were in a lookable direction.
Quote:
You see:
(4) Giants and (1) Snake.
I don't recall what the decision was, but I believe making that part of scan, and leaving Listen as is was stated. Though I don't believe there was any plan to limit it to particular classes.
I was fine with having listen report periodically what creatures you hear in a given direction along with what is being said. So periodically you might see:

You hear a couple of trolls shuffling about.

Obviously the message could be better, but that's just an example. I don't think though that it should given you an all in one status report of the exact contents of the room. You are after all "listening" :)

See my reply to Juba for more information regarding room contents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:29:26pm 
Implementor
Quote:
Ultimately I'm trying to think of a way to allow archers to shoot from different rooms, but at the same time not abuse it significantly.
There will not be multiple room ranged attacks until such time as the AI system for mobiles can handle distant attackers. This isn't a simple matter since it must also address such issues as... guarding something, mobs that trigger events in rooms on death, etc. Eventually it will happen, but such sight will be a racial thing... with possibly skill/spell enhancements.