Worlds of Carnage
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:13:29pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Alternative mud change / class balancing thoughts
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:04:18am 
These are just my personal thoughts and no formal votes required as I am not expecting them to be implemented but I thought I would post anyway

1) This is not an attack on Luz or of his mastery of Elip halflings but 3 of them are too powerful as charms - particularly as they have racial hatred too.

I belive spell casters should kill by using their spells. This is not currently possible so I will try to address this in point 3 below. I believe charms should be used as hp shields rather than a personal army. The total damage done per round by 1 soul strike spell and those 3 halflings cannot be matched by any other combination.

I would welcome charm monster reduced to max 1/2 level rather than current 3/4 or at least making elip immune to charms as cimmura is.

2) abolish dual classing - either play a jack or a pure class. This would simplify the system for new players and mean that players really have to choose between a warrior, a mid class such as black knight or have a pure magic user. 2nd class is unrealistic in so many cases giving healers dual wield and headbutt or fighters very capable magic use. If this was linked to removal of perm DI, invis, fly items then the fighters would be dependent on the magic users and vice versa which would encourage greater cooperation and grouping. the only issue we have currently is lack of player base to ensure a decent group available at all times.

3) Following from 2) above I would suggest that if spell casters can't dual class and fighters can't use magic then a substantial increase in mana regen rates could occur so that casters can kill using their spells and not need all day to regen and that healers would be far more powerful with increased regen to balance their lack of fighting ability. If regen rates can't be increased than mana requirements for spells should be lowered by 1/3 so heal could use say 35 mana and soul strike could say 50 etc

4) if dual class was abolished other classes would need tweaking and I would suggest pets being able to level to 60 or getting better hp gains would be useful for druids/rangers.

I believe backstab should not be a jack skill but thief only. backstab should do more damage to make thieves viable and there should be decreased flee penalty for pure thief class.

Paladins have gained hand of god, invulnerability and some other nice stuff. Black knight would need an offensive spell and some tweaks.

Mental attack should be strengthened to make it do some decent damage for Shaman and their boons should be castable on any player to make them a useful group member.

5 I would abolish rebirth as it is too easy too level a fast exp gain class and then rebirth to a slower one. If you choose to level a slow exp gain class then you should get the credit for doing and ensure no one else can create the same thing in half the time through rebirth.

Who ever heard of troll warriors becoming faerie wizards in their next life anyway ?

Feel free to post any comments you may have...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53:57pm 
I actually agree with alot you said. Elip mobs are a bit too powerful in my mind.
People keep telling me otherwise but as someone whos pretty much only played a warrior...warriors are still too weak. Compared to a caster who has 3 charms. Yes i know the warrior can beat the caster but good grief the strategy involved is mind boggling. Not everyone can do it. Id like to add up the hp and damage potential of 3 charms and 1 caster versus 1 warrior in 1 combat round. I bet the caster has more. The caster can blind, poison, insanity, soul strike, etc. A warrior has what? Headbutt? The mob or caster saves and only stays down like 2 rounds which is not enough to be really affective. Groundsmash? The only way that would work is if the caster's entire group was out cold for 6 combat rounds. Im not saying a warrior should be invincible but a dedicated warrior should be MUCH harder to beat. I think dedicated warriors should get 4th attack (not dual wield). One more attack may level the field a bit more for them. Thats just my thoughts though.
As far as abolishing mixed classes eh...i can see your point I really can. But i dont think it'd be a good idea. Mixed classes offer a lot more variables and can offer deeper roleplay.
Now as far as rebirthing goes...I can agree with that. Lets take for example player A is a veteran of this game. He gets a warrior and gets to 100 million relatively quickly. Player B is new to the mud...or just new to mudding. He choses a mage...and it takes him like 6 months to get to 100 million. But he wont be able to reach this bc player A will have rebirthed and developed a roleplay and will keep killing Player B. Player B says screw it and quits the MUD.
Im not saying abolish rebirth but limit it. I think you should only be able to rebirth ONCE. And rebirth penatly should be more. Like a 33% loss of exp compared to the current 25%.