Worlds of Carnage
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:26:49pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Potential MUD Changes - We need your opinion
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:21:22am 
Ok, so Blobbie said that if we get a strong consensus on this MUD that he is very willing to make some changes (within reason) to how things work around here. I have made a list of some things that I would like your vote and opinion on. If we have enough people that support the new ideas, then they could be implemented.

I would like everybody to please make a concrete vote on each topic, and if you want explain your position afterwards.

1. Do you support a pwipe on this mud where there are not exp reimbursements?

2. Do you support a lower exp cap of 200 mil exp?

3. Do you support the idea of being able to access ONE dedicated only skill from your minor class? If so, when should the character be able to access that skill? 100 mil exp?

4. Do you think that the mud should have you implement a role play at character creation that can be changed and evolved as your character on the mud does. If not, what would you like to see be done about RP on the mud and how it can best be implemented for all

5. Do you think that we should have the potential for "heroes"? Heroes have access to all skills/spells on the game but have a limited number of lives and are thus able to be permed. They are role play driven and this role play must be enforced in some manner. I would suggest that these characters be able to exp from 200 to 300 mil. Something would have to be changed so they would obtain better gains during that time than a typical char leveling from 200 to 300 mil.

6. Do you think that invis / di / fly items should be either eliminated or made much more difficult to obtain?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to the changes this mud will undergo in the future.

Last edited by Luz on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:45:40am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Potential MUD Changes - We need your opinion
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:45:06am 
So here are my votes:

yes

yes

3. Do you support the idea of being able to access ONE dedicated only skill from your minor class? If so, when should the character be able to access that skill? 100 mil exp?
yes, they should be able to at 100 mil exp and prereqs for the skill/spell should not matter

4. Do you think that the mud should have you implement a role play at character creation that can be changed and evolved as your character on the mud does. If not, what would you like to see be done about RP on the mud and how it can best be implemented for all
No - I do no think you should have to pick a rp at creation but in general rp on this mud sucks and people need to pick a role play!

5. Do you think that we should have the potential for "heroes"? Heroes have access to all skills/spells on the game but have a limited number of lives and are thus able to be permed. They are role play driven and this role play must be enforced in some manner. I would suggest that these characters be able to exp from 200 to 300 mil. Something would have to be changed so they would obtain better gains during that time than a typical char leveling from 200 to 300 mil.
Yes, I think heroes would be great if we had a way to enforce the role play. I think perhaps 3-5 perm lives would be good w/o the possibility for resurrection.

6. Do you think that invis / di / fly items should be either eliminated or made much more difficult to obtain?
I think invis rings/necklaces/bracelets should be removed from the game and di potions should be made rarer. Also, all wings propeller hats and other flying items should be removed completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:41:41am 
No

Yes

No

I'm up in the air on this one. I really don't believe that anyone can truly roleplay their toon. What it seems like now is player A kills player B. Play er B get's pissed off and makes a new toon, whose roleplay is to target something about player A specifically, but general enough to say "my roleplay is to kill player A." Anyway, a game without the possibility of killing players would suck, but I think you guys get way into the fact that some people just don't get into the whole "I'm really a troll and therefore I need to smash the heads off gnomes" thing. Some people, who've been playing for years mind you, are more interested in exploring new areas, and obtaining rare/new equipment for all. I think that if you try to force your own opinion on roleplay onto everyone, some people are just going to leave.

Maybe, sounds neat, but I'm sure someone will figure out a way to exploit it. This is what WoC was like before a lot of you got here. Sure, there was a level cap at the time, but anyone can learn anything from soul strike to hunt. It's really not that cool.

No

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:05:47am 
Ok, so Blobbie said that if we get a strong consensus on this MUD that he is very willing to make some changes (within reason) to how things work around here. I have made a list of some things that I would like your vote and opinion on. If we have enough people that support the new ideas, then they could be implemented.

I would like everybody to please make a concrete vote on each topic, and if you want explain your position afterwards.

*YES, even tho it will suck ass

*YES, 600 mil is a lifetime away even with no life

*FUCK YES, need i explain?

*Don't Matter, I don't think it should be forced, but encouraged to RP.... but either way It doesn't bother me

*YES, Perhaps a higher xp cap for heroes, remember gains aren't much after 200 mil.... maybe 450 mil? or tweak gains a little so heroes are like 25-33% tougher than the average 200 mil character

*YES, Take them ALL OUT, and leave the option to attain a di potion from a quest that takes a few minutes to run and doesn't always load after the quest like a 10% chance to load it

Thanks for your time and I look forward to the changes this mud will undergo in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:43:22am 
1. Do you support a pwipe on this mud where there are not exp reimbursements

NO I dont, don't think it is necessary at the moment. To many other changes need to happen first.

I suppose that would be ok, tho I have no problems with 600 mil :)

Yea, thats actually not a bad idea.

yes, and I really think there should be an option for a pk flag. Not everyone who plays this game really wants to be involved in pk. And that should be the choice of the player. I'm sure most people will still want to pk, but for those that don't, I think they should be given the option to have a no pk flag

I'm split on this. I think Valin is right and we don't have the pbase for this atm.

No, I don't have an issue with them at all.

yippie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:12:37am 

**After changes are implemented, absolutely.

**Sure

**I definitely support the idea... 100 mil sounds fair enough too.

**I like the idea of adopting a general roleplay at creation. Just because you create a troll and make his roleplay hate other races doesn't mean you have to attack champ adventurers at level 1. You just won't group with them or accept their help.

**I think this sounds like a GREAT twist.. but I would definitely push for a very low amount of deaths to perm. I mean Luz has 2 deaths and he's a regular character, do you know how hard it would be to kill a Hero? I mean 2 or 3 deaths max for a perm.

**I wish invis was more of an issue in this game, fly as well. Yes I think yellow potions should work like Groulths potions. (As expensive as well) And I think the only wings and invis items in the game should expire, or be rediculously hard to get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:16:10pm 

nope I do NOT support this. I know this is a pkill mud. But im hearing alot of people who not necessarily want to get rid of pkill...but dont necessarily want to. There should be a choice in it. And i dont see why that is such a big deal or why thats so hard or anything. If nothing is done...youre gonna have bitching and bitching and bitching forever. And who wants to hear people bitching over OOC all the time? I mean ive done it lots of times and i know people dont enjoy it. People want to have fun on this mud. And the problem is there seems to be various ideals of fun for people. ME...personally...id rather quest, exp, help friends, and spar. Thats my fun. Im not opposed to pkill at all. Hell i kill other people all the time on other games. But there should be a choice. It would STILL be a pkill mud if there was a choice or a pkflag or whatnot. Alot of people say pkill muds attract the majority...so if there was a pkflag...who cares? So you cant kill the 4 people who choose not to pkill? Who cares you would have plenty of other people to pkill with. I feel pkill actually turns away the majority. I want this mud to grow. I love this mud. And yes ive made my mistakes...HUGE mistakes...but i still love it. But if i recruit people...they will get slaughtered and quit and tell others not to play it. And i dont want to hear "we dont kill new people". That statement is void of any truth. There was a...certain character that went around killing EVERYONE...new or not. I could go on with other reasons but i wont. Ive gone on long enough and i feel my points are valid ones...maybe not popular but valid.

nope...cap should be at 600-700 mil. and then something special for that person once they reach that amount.

yes i support this. The access point should be at what exp is level 75. Which is what 130 million?

4. Do you think that the mud should have you implement a role play at character creation that can be changed and evolved as your character on the mud does. If not, what would you like to see be done about RP on the mud and how it can best be implemented for all.

Isn't this game about roleplay? Yes I think you should have to implement one at creation...and have room for flexibility in the future. Some of these questions all depend on what is to be DONE about roleplay. Including the cap and the Hero thing. If you have to create a roleplay at character creation...it will hopefully hinder people from making 354364356 characters and only play 3 actively. And it may not sound kind of stupid...but i get annoyed when people constantly create and delete looking for that 1 good roll. I say, 1 character = 1 role, you take what you get from fate.

Im good on Hereos only if there is a HIGH exp cap. Like 600 million. For someone to have the ability to obtain all skills...they should have to spend a long freaking time to earn it. I could go into a huge paragraph about all this but I wont lol.

nope...but I think for any new areas...the "value" of the object (how good it is) should be proportional to the difficulty of obtaining it. And the problem with THAT is...whos to say what the proportion is? Its all relative. I know alot of good objects are hard to get but alot arent.

All in all this is great mud...a few changes should be made in my opinion and i thank Blobbie for all the time and effort he puts into it. We've bumped heads ALOT but...we are two human beings who naturally have diff opinions and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:20:58am 
I have not been on during the discussions but I have heard the idea that people believe they can increase the player base if there are changes /pwipe. Whilst I like what we have and I am wondering how far we are from recreating the old cythera I won't stand in the way of change. We just need to make sure that we gain more players than we might lose.

Yes - Large scale change requires it and I enjoy playing the game more than I value any of my chars. I fully understand the viewpoint of those who have been with the game for many years and wish to keep what they have put a lot of time into to create, however we can't stay still for ever and no one can guarantee a mud character for life as the cythera players found out previously. Hopefully if we have been around for years we should know how to level back up pretty quickly.

Yes - None of my chars will ever reach it anyway.

3. Do you support the idea of being able to access ONE dedicated only skill from your minor class?

Yes - I nearly voted no as there are issues-

I would suggest that some dedicated only must remain so - ie charm monster, revit, animal training as they define the classes that get them. E.g. if a 4 attack troll warrior/cleric can get revit skill without having to get any prereqs it will unbalance things- No one will ever need a weaker 3 attack cler/fighter that has to get all the prereqs ever again. No point to druids or rangers if any char can get pets etc. I also wonder if previous issues regarding dual wield may return to haunt us again.

Could the choice of your secondary dedicated skill be more important than your main class ? I would support access at 200 mill as a reward for getting there.

Finally this devalues pure dedicated class chars that would get no benefit so this may need addressing too.

4. Do you think that the mud should have you implement a role play at character creation?

No- I'm not a roleplay fan or particularly good at it so personally not in favour. Why not RP and/or PK flag for those who wish to ?

In response to tesh's comment regarding 354364356 chars. I can't speak for others but I enjoy variety and learning more about all the mud skill / spell combinations and I do not have time to play them all at once so I obviously have to concentrate on certain ones - Also with a limited player base if we all only played 1 char there might not be the chars available to create the right group do do a quest whereas having more than one allows the right tool for the right job.

5. Do you think that we should have the potential for "heroes"?

Yes - it is an extra choice for those who know what to do with them and can roleplay. Lives would have to be set carefully.

Yes - All perm items eliminated - Potions / scrolls / wands etc limit to quests / hard mobs.

Would make gameplay much more interesting as the non magical classes would need help from magic users who may be less than pleased to help those with aggressive RPs. Gives underplayed elven race with natural DI an excellent racial ability which is currently pretty worthless. Would also allow magic users ability to access areas by flight, invis, water breath etc that brute force chars cannot. If non permanent items are added to quests that would also increase quest participation.

Finally if changes are made I hope Blobs does not have to do tons of work on his own and that there might be people available with the skills to help out.

Post subject: Mud Changes...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:51:17pm 
I think the most important thing that needs to change is the mindset of the pbase. Based on my experience here, which I admit is quite limited, it appears roleplay is not really that important to the player base...as can be seen by the many fairies running around with trolls and general goodly/evil grouping parties. All of the potential changes can all have positive affects on the mud, however the lack of desire to rp by the pbase will always limit the overall potential of the mud. Just because somebody has to put in an rp when they create doesn't mean they will follow it. You cant fully code the mud to enforce every action to ensure it fits the characters rp. This is something the players themselves have to want to do. Personally, the rp part of the game is what makes all other aspects of the game so much more fun. For example, Silverleaf (the elven stronghold) is a great mud city....good storyline, great mobs and quests; however what can make it even better...is if players make an effort to rp along with the storyline. Trolls hoarding together to raid the city...goodlies banding together to fight them back....A simple pkill fight becomes much more fun when there is rp involved. A paladin hunting down his nemesis, a powerful vampire...the rivalry/feud that builds bsed on the rp aspect of their interactions makes the fight so much more exciting... Scenarios such as that, as simple as it may be, make the mud more fun overall. So before any game changes are made, I think a discussion needs to be had on the players actively involving themselves in roleplay on a regular basis...not here and there. It needs to become the norm...not the exception. Once that has occurred, you will see a whole new aspect and perception of the mud take form. After that, you'll be amazed at all the great ideas for gameplay changes everyone will have...all in line with the concept of roleplay. Just my opinion...like I said my time here has been limited so maybe I'm missing something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:50:47pm 
Immortal
the pbase is too small to support a strict RP. so you almost have no choice to group w/ whoever is around. if you are a goodly fairy and the only other player around is an evil troll...what are both parties to do? struggle alone or group?

i would agree w/ Az's points if we had 20 players at a time, consistently.

1st change....get more players!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:18:40pm 

Definately. No reimb's. If you're going to pwipe and implement new skills, balance the game, items &c then force people to work through the new system.

Never gotten past L 45. Can't comment

Absolutely not. A warrior with full heal or sanctuary? Gimme a break.

4. Do you think that the mud should have you implement a role play at character creation that can be changed and evolved as your character on the mud does. If not, what would you like to see be done about RP on the mud and how it can best be implemented for all.

Can't answer. Not that familiar with the new RP system.

No

Yes