Add an experience cap?
Don't add experience cap  6%  [ 1 ]
Add experience cap but don't remove trophy reset block  18%  [ 3 ]
Add experience cap and remove trophy reset block  76%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 17

Post subject: Capping Experience
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:31:49am 
Implementor
What does everyone think about capping experience? In retrospect I would have to say limitless experience is in direct competition with pkill :) Also, I guess it gets boring, but as previously observed, the fact that there's always 1 more hitpoint or 1 more mana or one more practice around the corner makes even the most apalled player continue to try and gain more and more exp :lol: So what do you guys think? Should I cap exp? What should I cap it at? My own thoughts are to cap it and cap it at 300k since nobody is there yet :mrgreen: Also I would remove the trophy reset block past 80 million.

Cheers,
Blobbie.

Post subject: Re: Capping Experience
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:57:49am 
I think that there should be a cap. I feel my char is unfinished cause theres room for more exp on and on. For me it gets boring. I stoped most my chars when reaching level 73 cause from then on gains arent that definite. As for the cap I would say at 300mil or 350mil is good so you got a bit more room to get a few more practs and hps,etc and if reset block removed its better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:44:32am 
I have never really considered putting the effort into one character to gain 100 mill exp plus and always considered 20 mill my limit but I have been pleased with progress between 20 and 40 mill and am considering trying to make 100 with one character. I think you can cap where you wish but I will not be going over 100 anyway and will be amazed if I even reach that figure.

Removing trophy cap at 80 is helpful but maybe a bit unfair on those players who have reached 200 + with it in place. However if those like Torak etc at 100+ are happy with it so am I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:37:04am 
hehe imma go against the grain (which is not unusual for me and being tahts its 7:30 am and im not awake this should be interesting). I think that if your going to make a cap make it like 700 mil. Resets are awsome, but the exp will still dwindle again. Besides, you have to give that person who got to 500 mil first some time and exp to use their new founder uber skill =)

Anyway, fun ramblings from me when I'm not quite awake :twisted:

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:01:30am 
Add cap, don't remove trophy reset block.

The old mud, where we'd methodically get 10mil exp, then let a mob kills us to die for the reset was junk. When a player can get max exp for all this best kills after dying, getting the 2.6mil back from the death is a joke. Head to Angrorn or Savaena or SH for 2 hours total, and you've recouped your losses. Then, gain 10mil exp super quick. And repeat.

The ratio here would probably change from 10m:2.6m b/c of more mobs to kill and more powerful chars, but it would still get used - as evidenced when people were pkilling solely to have their mob cap reset (and abusing that "bug").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:59:58pm 
ok so after reading the news......... Maybe the best thing to do would be to keep the no reset thing, just maybe make it start when a character reaches level 75, and dont cap experience =) From talking to people it seems that getting to 75 is a challenge becasue it becomes methodical and you die and get no reset, ect. Once you hit 75 thats it. Add the reset there, or maybe level 74. Then if you want to keep exping/dying you get no benefit from a reset.

Honestly, I would have loved a reset at 350 mil =) but since thats not gonna happen =) ill just keep exping as normal :twisted:

cheers everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:56:15pm 
If there has to be a reset, I don't see any problem with it coming at 80 million as it does now. There were no complaints about 80million, so why change it?

(and btw - glad I check the News through wocmud.org->info->news as it seems i've been blocked from accessing the mud from my workplace via telnet or RoAClient!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:56:43pm 
Quote:
Add cap, don't remove trophy reset block.

The old mud, where we'd methodically get 10mil exp, then let a mob kills us to die for the reset was junk. When a player can get max exp for all this best kills after dying, getting the 2.6mil back from the death is a joke. Head to Angrorn or Savaena or SH for 2 hours total, and you've recouped your losses. Then, gain 10mil exp super quick. And repeat.

The ratio here would probably change from 10m:2.6m b/c of more mobs to kill and more powerful chars, but it would still get used - as evidenced when people were pkilling solely to have their mob cap reset (and abusing that "bug").
I disagree

One: This mud is different in many ways you cant compare to the old. For example gains get lower and lower so even if u reset and keep gettin exp maybe youll get 10mil and get nothing if the odds dont favour you.

Two: I think you dont care for reset block cause you dont pvp, dont die often and got a huge reimburse unlike the rest of us, so gettin to max cap for ya will be a lot easier. We think different. Exp resets would be benficial for the player base and also will protect you if u ever get pkilled. Cause you will be able to get it back.

Three: Like Murton says some people wont even care to exp beyond 130 or 100 mil cause they see their chars got all they need and have fun with it. And dont got time as some of us do to mud.

Four: In the case that reset block aint removed and what you worry about is people catching up in exp to us. Maybe could be implemented that after dying 10 times to npcs you get exp reseted as a way to control what Grael points out of "dying to reset".

Last edited by Torak on Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:22:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:01:44pm 
Quote:
If there has to be a reset, I don't see any problem with it coming at 80 million as it does now. There were no complaints about 80million, so why change it?

(and btw - glad I check the News through wocmud.org->info->news as it seems i've been blocked from accessing the mud from my workplace via telnet or RoAClient!)
I did complain . I dont like it. Specially cause I didnt know about it or was put in after I had a 4 month break. My best char at the time, Tuor didnt get that exp reset at 80.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:06:33pm 
Quote:
ok so after reading the news......... Maybe the best thing to do would be to keep the no reset thing, just maybe make it start when a character reaches level 75, and dont cap experience =) From talking to people it seems that getting to 75 is a challenge becasue it becomes methodical and you die and get no reset, ect. Once you hit 75 thats it. Add the reset there, or maybe level 74. Then if you want to keep exping/dying you get no benefit from a reset.

Honestly, I would have loved a reset at 350 mil =) but since thats not gonna happen =) ill just keep exping as normal :twisted:

cheers everyone
I dont see why people who dare to explore, die, pvp, try stuff should get punished either. I dont agree with you. Only that if reset is kept should be moved to 130mil but i dont support that keep block thing.

Post subject: an idea
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:14:58pm 
I was discussing this with Gen last nite.

If max cap is implemented lets say at 350mil.
And we get to it, and we use our practs for hps,mana or skills,spells.
And lets say 1 year later theres a new skill for your class, then you cant get it since u are at max exp, cant get more practs.

In that case I would suggest a Practomat system:
*Trading 10mil exp and 2 mil gold for 1 pract or half of what u get per exercise in hps,mana,mvs
*Also limiting the practomat usage for a player to 15 times at max.
*Also for people who get to max cap of exp maybe a bonus to pract 1 or 2 times a stat (str,dex,etc) in trade for 50mil exp 20mil gold

Then its the responsability of the player to save those practs in case new skills appear, thats always a posibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:20:21pm 
pk vs exp
pk is here to stay.
If its not Luz it will be someone else who will hunt you and kill you. Strongholds are safe at the moment cause there just 1 guy killin but if 2 more join him I dont see people safe even there. Then instead of whining if u get killed or quiting the mud support exp reset block removal, that will make possible get up on your feet and get back that precious mindless exp.

Post subject: Re: an idea
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:42:49pm 
Implementor
Quote:
In that case I would suggest a Practomat system:
*Trading 10mil exp and 2 mil gold for 1 pract or half of what u get per exercise in hps,mana,mvs
*Also limiting the practomat usage for a player to 15 times at max.
*Also for people who get to max cap of exp maybe a bonus to pract 1 or 2 times a stat (str,dex,etc) in trade for 50mil exp 20mil gold
Practomat eh? *lol* You forgot (TM) ;) Anyways I don't like such a system for the obvious difficulty in balancing it etc. What will happen at some point will be the ability to cash a char in at 2/3 experience to recreate, then you can redo whatever you want without having to go through the entire mindless exp running :) At some point that will link in nicely with racial evolution too I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:49:25pm 
Hey guys..at work atm but wanted to chip in my few cents.

I hands down whole heartedly support an exp cap and some form of exp reset. :D :D :D :D :D

I think 300 mil cap is a good ammt of exp. Perhaps a little bit higher if exp resets go into affect.

Trophy resets also will reward riskier behavior, and more exploration without being as afraid to die. Death at exp ranges of 120mil+ takes several days to recover from exp wise. People feel it is not worth the effort, and the result is players that are afraid to try things that are challenging b/c they don't want to loose that prescious exp.

With respect to new added skills, I like the idea to pay exp for a skill, not necessarilly for prac sessions (which may be used for exercise thus resulting in more cause for endless exp to buy prac sessions) You should only be able to "buy" a skill that has been added after you hit max exp.
Well, now that I think about it more...that doesn't seem fair for skills that involve a very challenging quest. Some type of system could be worked out I am sure...just don't know about the details right now :?

Here is another idea I personally think would be nice:
No exp reset, but exp drop on mobs is not as dramatic. For example, I started off in the 40mil range getting about 85k for each sundhaven picker. As i reset my exp before 80 mil, i seem to remember still getting 65k+ exp for them. Now at approx 120 mil exp I get less than 1k exp for a picker. I think that if the maximum decrease in exp was capped, such as mebbe 50% of orig, people would not worry so much about "dying to reset". Back to the picker example...killing a sudhaven picker is a pretty good challenge considering the 1k reward. I am not saying I should get 65k for it, but 25k does not seem unreasonable (humm, mebbe 33% instead of 50%?)

I don't know..what do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: an idea
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:51:21pm 
Quote:
What will happen at some point will be the ability to cash a char in at 2/3 experience to recreate, then you can redo whatever you want without having to go through the entire mindless exp running :) At some point that will link in nicely with racial evolution too I think.
Kick ass idea blobbie :D