Worlds of Carnage
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:46:58am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Ideas for balance
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:21:04am 
Heres some ideas of stuff i consider off balance in pvp or vnpc.

1.- Rows system. It isnt allowing combat skills to penetrate rows. For example. If you fighting 4 corpses and a cleric/bk or a mage is on row 2 you cant swing a headbutt or a kick to them. While they can swing spells vs u even if u on row 6 and have 4 corpses too. Maybe you could also have a chance to do certain combat skills thru rows, like kick.That brings me to point #2. Specially now that spell casters so powerful.

2.- You would say warrior got ground smash but while smash is powerful its not that effective. You miss smashes with 115 quality 2/4 at least and thats 4 rounds of lag you are wide open for soul strikes or headbutts,etc. Then again, ground smash is really hard to get. And soul strike its not even on a tome neither hard to get. I get it since level 15+. Thats kindda not fair for the rest of classes that have their good skills/spells on tomes that are really hard to get. IE Thiefs with slit/twin/dodge which i consider the hardest classs to get tomes to and not the most powerful class either. Clerics with rebirth/major heal/resurrection. Warriors ground smash,etc.

3.- Deleted this cause i no longer agree with what it said

4.- Insanity spell. Its way too powerful as it is. I used it once on glad modes and i killed abuncha people without a sweat. Also its duration is way high, maybe up 10 tics or more, ask Lisp. Should last like 5. Also has a bug that when you are blind u attack yourself with your full attacks as if u were attacking someone else. It does that but just with 1 attack not full 3 or 4. Also its mana cost should go up since its such a definite spell in pvp. You get insane and kiss your ass bye bye.

5.- Damage was reduced to balance mages vs warrior types. I saw mages before as more powerful and even more now since they didnt get affected by any damage reduction. They may not have many hps to withstand frontal attacks but as good mages know you need to stay on back rows and do your thing.

6.- Im not saying make it easier to get ground smash, rebirth, dodge but more fair compared to mage kick ass spells which are really easy to get with the help of a master adventurer. Most of em dont even require fighting.

Last edited by Torak on Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:59:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: increase regen
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:33:59pm 
Increase regen for all . 1 or 2 base points of regen up would help not only current players but newbies who dont like to sleep 5ticks to get back on their feet to fight 2 minutes or just 1 mob then sleep again. That gets people discouraged.

The change would be that if i regen 5 hps now i regen 6 and sleepin was 10 now 12. Something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:28:23pm 
I like the increased regen idea, especially now that characters have a ton of hps or a ton of mana.

Post subject: Re: Ideas for balance
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:36:39pm 
Quote:
1.- Rows system. It isnt allowing combat skills to penetrate rows. For example. If you fighting 4 corpses and a cleric/bk or a mage is on row 2 you cant swing a headbutt or a kick to them. While they can swing spells vs u even if u on row 6 and have 4 corpses too. Maybe you could also have a chance to do certain combat skills thru rows, like kick.That brings me to point #2. Specially now that spell casters so powerful.
With respect to rows system:
I personally think it should be trashed. It was a good idea in theory, but in practice makes things too easy both exp wise, pvp wise, and quest wise. In practice, I can comment largely on a mage, but they would be quite underpowered without the rows system, so in the event of its elimination, I believe mana gains for all should be increased. Exercise with max gnome int/wis is still only 4mana (very rare to see 5). 1600 mana seems like a lot, but when my hps would last only 3 round to a warrior headbut (4 if i am lucky), more mana is needed. Also damage on spells should be dramatically increased in the event rows system is removed. If you can a level 73 mage in 3 rounds with your melee, a mage should be able to do severe damage to you in 3 rounds with his magic. I know this seems unrealistic to many of you, but imho I would like to see ss's of approx 400-500hps. If 400hps, would still take 6 or more ss to kill a level 73 warrior. In 6 rounds of damage from a warrior a mage would be toast. This clearly cannot be the case with the rows system, for the warrior cannot hit the mage directly until they have killed all of his charms/swords etc.

I don't know, I keep rambling, but the more I think about it the more I think the rows system screws things up more than it helps them.

Post subject: Target
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:18:36am 
Does the rows system in a PVP situation currently block the use of the "target" command? Seems to work OK when I've tried it a few time against groups of NPCs attacking me to switch between them... I would of thought that you'd be able to switch to the mage at the "back" if they are actively attacking you (noting from the help description that you can't probably initiate a fight with a bystander if there's more than a couple of mobs already attacking you.. apparently).

Post subject: Re: Target
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:07:50pm 
Implementor
Quote:
Does the rows system in a PVP situation currently block the use of the "target" command? Seems to work OK when I've tried it a few time against groups of NPCs attacking me to switch between them... I would of thought that you'd be able to switch to the mage at the "back" if they are actively attacking you (noting from the help description that you can't probably initiate a fight with a bystander if there's more than a couple of mobs already attacking you.. apparently).
NPCs don't generally make use of the row system since it requires that they be configured to use it in an appropriate way. As for PCs... the row system is here to stay. PCs are NOT going tog get more gains, mages will be balanced at some point, more skills will eventually be added that allow non spell casters to penetrate. Early in the new year I should have more time to do a lot of what still needs doing since Sarah will be going on maternity leave and I'll get a bit more personal spare time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:01:42pm 
There are plenty of ways to mess up rows and charms, i can think of three without trying. Turn undead for corpses, pword fear for anything, and dispel magic to turn charms back on their mages. As for mages being overpowerful, that has only been the case since gnomes had their max int boosted: making mages in general less powerful would only serve to eliminate any option other than gnome, and making them as a second class undesirable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:07:37pm 
I agree with what Anna said. Gnome mages are the most powerful cause of their int. Messing with them now would only make it so that all mages would be gnomes, and wheres the fun and diversity in that... 8)

(Standard Kay doesnt know what shes talking about disclamier :twisted: )

Post subject: Mages
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:11:50pm 
I dont think mages should be touched atm.
Sure they are powerful and sure gnome mage seems like the right choice, thats why i idead it an increase in elf wisdom to 63 so its more appealing.
Then again mages can kill people in pvp and why shouldnt? they are the most powerful class in that particular area in fantasy books and muds. They are great on 1 on 1. But fighting mobs, or groups just gets a mage killed cause the mana is used too fast.

Mages the trickiest to balance. I know, I asked for changes when the class sucked and i appreciatted I was heard. But in groups mages are not that active. For example I grouped with Lisp and Kayenta and killin in Sundhaven the regular exp run. I had to use 3 or 4 soul strikes per mob so i didnt end up without mana at half the run. Thats like 900 to 1200 hps (if spell maxed) of help vs mobs. While they can do around 150 per round and we all know fights take more than 20. Since they are also fighters they can last a lot longer cause of the no cost of combats. Downsizing mages or spell power wont do much good to the class.

I can kill mobs they probably cant alone, but i cant do exp runs of 1 million as they can. In pvp its all about the player skill too. If mages are the best in pvp its because the best use em. If the best used clerics that class would be asked to be changed. Mage is good now.

I have had many different opinions about the mage class and i realize whats good and wrong about it thru experience using em. So people who just watch em please try a mage before saying what is needed for em. And i mean a pure mage no some mage warrior halfbreed.its a lot different a pure mage than that.

Oh yeah and to those who also like to give opinion on thiefs this age and dont even have one and say they are powerful ... :evil:

Last edited by Torak on Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:16:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:13:42pm 
Quote:
There are plenty of ways to mess up rows and charms, i can think of three without trying. Turn undead for corpses, pword fear for anything, and dispel magic to turn charms back on their mages.
Now now anna why did u have to give Luz more ideas... he didnt use that before but i bet now he will. I didnt use those just so he didnt notice em hehe thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:46:38pm 
Ah, he saw me using em anyway, or i wouldnt have said anything. =)

Post subject: Re: Mages
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:15:12am 
Quote:
Oh yeah and to those who also like to give opinion on thiefs this age and dont even have one and say they are powerful ... :evil:
Thieves have pierce, 2nd and dual - COMBAT skills, which, if a dedicated (dual class or not) thief, make the thief attacks powerful. As good as any combat based class. Thieves, over the last 2-3 years, have had slit, gouge, thrash, dodge, twin stab added to their skill-set. This adds to a base of sneak, evade, disguise, pick locks, steal, backstab etc etc.

There is a constant influx of combat oriented thief skills being suggested. Thieves are meant to be stealthy, not offensive beasts.

IMO thieves have enough offensive firepower as is and giving them more will only lessen the classes that are designed specifically for the combat skills. If you want a warrior w/ pierce - make one, but asking for skill after skill after skill after skill for combat oriented thief skills is unlikely to result in new skills. If the suggestions were for stealth/thief-like skills, they might get implemented. A thief is designed to be stealthy/sneaky/shady - not a warrior with a bunch of neat additional skills. I wouldn't count on more combat skills for thieves in the near future. They will never be equal to warrior or BK or Paladin in terms of combat capabilitiies, nor should they.

Lastly, there are far more pressing needs in the mud than to make the thief more powerful. Other classes need work, items need work, bugs to be fixed, areas to move along. No, I don't play thieves, but this doesn't exclude myself or any non-thief from voicing opinion on whether or not they should be souped up even further.

(Of course Blobbie has ultimate say on whether Thieves get more combat skills but it's my impression it won't be any time soon.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:01:33pm 
Yeah u havent tried a thief thats why u think they got power... try fighting mobs without headbutt on your chars and that will give you an idea on how important and great hb is...thief doesnt have a skill to even match half that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:32:28pm 
Implementor
Quote:
Yeah u havent tried a thief thats why u think they got power... try fighting mobs without headbutt on your chars and that will give you an idea on how important and great hb is...thief doesnt have a skill to even match half that.
As Wren said, warriors are warriors, thieves are thieves. Thieves have steal, try finding a warrior skill to match that!! Different chars for different things. My role when balancing classes/adding skills is NOT to make class A equivalent in power to class B. My role is to make them different yet important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:13:18pm 
Before it comes up ...

The argument where any class can get picks, well, there might just be a HB item out there too if people know where to find it. So a thief COULD wear it and get some of the benefits of that skills. Prolly more than picks provide ...