Worlds of Carnage
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:18:35am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: New Immunity System
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:13:54am 
Implementor
Wow!!! News!!! :)

Anyways, I've put in place a new immunity system. The new system converts the traditional flag based system (where mobs either have resistance, have susceptibility, or are immune) to a new system whereby immunity is applied in the same way that affects (such as armour, bless, sanctuary, etc) are applied. This will be an extremely powerful feature in the future since it allows for arbitrary values for resistance/susceptibility modifiers that equipment and/or race can provide to a player. Additionally due to the nature of affects in general, and half the reason for doing this, these values can stack. That means wearing 5 dragon scales of +10 resistance to fire would accumulate to give you +50 resistance to fire. If you were to reach 100 then you would be 100% immune to fire. Similarly if you were to wear 5 dragons scales of -10 resistance (aka +10 susceptibility) to ice, then you would have -50 resistance to ice (aka +50 susceptibility). If you were to reach +100 susceptibility then you would receive double damage. Unlike the positive values that essentially cap at 100 (immunity) negative values have no cap and you could end up with -400 resistance (5 times damage).

Most important about this change is that once I've added a few tools for setting racial resistance/susceptibilities some of the races will be modified to better exemplfiy the race in question. For instance elves and gnomes will probably get varying degrees of magical resistance, trolls susceptibility to fire, reptiles resistance to slash, and so on. This would probably be a good time to bring in fairies and give them resistance to magic and evil. Demons also with susceptibility to goodly magic. Anyways, as you can probably tell it opens up a whole range of differentiation for races.

Ultimately this will bring about advanced races that can be bought upon rebirth using the experience you have spent (and thus accumulated) during your rebirths as was originally intended.

If you have ideas for how the races should be tweaked for resistances/susceptibilities then feel free to mudmail me or post on the web forums.

If you notice any bugs related to these changes when fighting mobs please report them ASAP.

Cheers,
Blobbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:14:21am 
Implementor
Everything, including the editing tools I needed, is in place now for me to start modifying existing races and to create new ones. The system got changed a little as I went so not only can resistance/susceptibilities/immunities be applied across the racial board but so too can any other affects such as damage modifiers, save versus whatever, regen rates, armour class, etc. Racial modifiers also support the affect weighting system so that modifiers can be distrobuted across a level range. This means something like the reptilian armour bonus that is currently hard-coded can be change to a level weighted racial affect. Much cleaner.

So I guess now I'm just looking for some feedback on how you all think the races should be tweaked. And suggestions for new races. Post your suggestions in the races forum:

Race Forum